While I am a staunch feminist, I'm also totally in love with "ladylike" clothes. This has less to do with any proscribed expectations regarding behavior and modesty and more to do with a certain style aesthetic. And happily, it would seem it's a style aesthetic that seems to be on-trend right now.
What sort of friend would I be if I didn't share them with you?
Alice + Olivia 'Ophelia' Dress (styled with the YSL Tribute Sandal)
So, here's a few to consider, ranging across price range as well as occasion - everything from the party dress to the wear-around-the-house dress. I love them all!
1. Kate Spade 'Kimberly' Dress (Adorable! Possibly too twee for a woman in her mid-30s, but who's counting?
2. Kate Spade 'Melanie' Dress (Crazy? Really? Maybe just a little...quirky and creative? ^_-)
3. Kate Spade 'Rainey' Dress (These Garance Dore illustrations are so great - though...I do have just a general aesthetic objection to the woman smoking. I mean, I understand it's very "French" to smoke, but still...)
4. Alice + Olivia 'Reese' Pleated Frock (The print is fantastic and the dress - *swoon*)
5. Alice + Olivia 'Tracey' Peplum Dress (or the 'Adeline' for those who prefer a cap sleeve - last fall the fashion press was all excited about the peplum...and I don't know about you, but I didn't see many of them. There seem to be more this year - and these dresses are just lovely.)
6. Alice + Olivia Jacquard A-line Dress (It's like textured gold, isn't it? In pretty dress form? Anyone having a party to which they'd like me to wear this dress?)
7. J. Crew A-line Ponte Knit Dress (In my shopping cart as I type.)
8. J. Crew Polka Dot Tie-Neck Dress (Argh! Sold out in my size already or it would be in my shopping cart along with the A-line Ponte Knit dress. It may be time to get on the phone with customer service...)
9. J. Crew Collection Italian Wool Dress (Something I can imagine Grace Kelly wearing...just beautiful.)
10. River Island Chelsea Girl Midi Dress (very pretty midi-length version of the lace dress)
11. Modcloth On the Other Line Dress (really so cute)
12. Gap Cherry Print Blouson Dress (simple and pretty - what's not to like?)
13. Old Navy Cap Sleeve Jersey Dress (simple, pretty, and inexpensive - and that solid black makes it a really great basic.)
14. Old Navy Flared Jersey Dress (see #14)
15. Old Navy Roll-Sleeve Chambray Shirtdress (chambray + shirtdress = classic)
*Sigh* So many dresses...so little closet (and budget) space...
So to balance out all the more "traditional" expressions of womanliness as shared above, I just thought I'd share this little Nike ad, showcasing a whole other kind of womanliness. You know, just as a reminder that anything a woman does, is by definition, womanly:
Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day, being you.