Black is the new black, my friends.
You know, I feel like sometime in 2010, black fell out of favor in my closet. I really much preferred to wear lots of colors. All kinds. Preferably all together at once. I'd only occasionally wear black for work - my black twill Minnies were and still continue to be a go-to for professional situations. But black was rarely any sort of creative choice for my wardrobe, until fairly recently.
It started showing up earlier this winter, paired with grays or creams. Then with white. And now?
Now it's everywhere, constituting its very own, real-live actual trend.
Most of us have plenty of black and white in our closets already, but I decided to research the black-and-white offerings of some of my favorite designers/retailers. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Kate Spade Striped Dorothy Coat (Quirky and playful - signature Kate Spade. Can't you just imagine Zooey Deschanel wearing this? *happy sigh*)
2. Prabal Gurung for Target Skirt (This latest designer collaboration for Target has been less buzzy than past collaborations, and while I love the way it looks in product photos, I found it not as wearable for myself personally. But I do love this skirt. It makes me want to try to recreate this Jason Wu/Lea Michele outfit from a couple years ago.
3. Miss Wu Embroidered Faille Dress (Speaking of Jason Wu, this dress is beautiful in person - the texture, sheen, and sparkle of the fabric and trims just don't come through in the product photos. Whenever I see it in the store, I find myself wanting to touch it.)
4. Alice + Olivia Vix Chevron Dress (Such a fantastic graphic print and so fun.)
5. Miss Wu Contrast Sleeve Sweater (I tried this sweater on this weekend, and I loved the enlarged houndstooth knit in the sleeve and the metallic sparkle in the body. It's a bit of a chunky cotton knit, but I liked it, even though it verged towards the shapeless side. Unfortunately - or fortunately for my budget? - I needed an XS in it, and the Fashion Valley Nordstrom only had a Small. I'll definitely be sale-stalking this one.)
6. Kate Spade Checkered Sadie Skirt (So cute. I love a good windowpane plaid, don't you?)
7. Marc Jacobs Optic Spot Blouse (How adorable is that ruffle detail on the collar? Super cute, right? My only regret? That the price isn't cuter. Something tells me that this one won't make it to sale, but a girl can dream.)
8. Anthropologie Greenwich Pencil Dress (I love the clean lines on this dress. Great for all kinds of occasions, including work.)
9. Anthropologie Gemma Lace Buttondown (Okay, okay, this isn't exactly white. It's more creamy. But I still love it. I'm saying it counts.)
10. Anthropologie All-weather Chemise (This looks so super comfy and cute! It's sitting in my shopping cart right now, and my fingers are just itching to hit "checkout.")
So, have you found yourself wearing more black and white?